Home » Patient Info » Children’s Dentistry » Toothbrushing
Between 0 and 2 years
- From birth, use a damp cloth/ gauze to clean the mouth.
- Start brushing as soon as the first tooth appears.
- Use a wet, soft bristle toothbrush with a small head.
- Don't use toothpaste.
From 2 to 7 years
- Brush twice a day, especially at nighttime.
- Help the child with brushing until they are about seven years old.
- Encourage your child to brush their own teeth but follow-up with a thorough brushing, especially in the evening before they go to bed.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush with a small head.
- Use a pea-sized amount of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Ensure your child spits it out and does not swallow.
Over 7 years
- As children grow older and gain in dexterity, they should be able to apply general brushing and oral hygiene techniques here.